Monday, August 23, 2010

Road trip

We recently went on a weekend roadtrip out to the Bunya Mountains and Kingaroy. We wanted to show Kathrine a bit of our extended local area before she returned home to Denmark. The above playground was something we stopped near on the trip out. I included it to show that many of our playgrounds here have shade covering to provide sun protection. Our schools also have No Hat, No Play policies as part of the sunsmart programme. We have the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world here so these measures are important. Now you girls in the Northern Hemisphere will know what I've been talking about when referring to the above shade covers!
The Bunya Mountains are about 2 hours west of us and are a popular place for winter get aways, bushwalking and wildlife watching. The wallaby and her sweet joey pictured above where sitting conveniently, next to the path near the toilets and little information hut. They were quite at ease letting me get close.
Funky fungi that reminded me of Avatar.
The cloud rolled in when we were on the track to Paradise Falls, fortunately most of the rain missed us. I walked to the first falls and then let Kathrine and Jeff head off for the longer walk while I read in the car.
I just love cows in paddocks particularly when the sky looks so promising!

Ahhem. Hang head in embarrassment. This post is from August (it's now October) and I just found it in my posts to be edited. Better late than never I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment