Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lessons in motherhood

I've been absent from blogging for a short while as I undergo a crash course in motherhood.  We currently have four young Danes staying with us and I've been running them around in the car, cooking, buying groceries, cooking some more (just where did all the food go....) and going back to the grocery store for yet more supplies. Any mothers of teenagers will understand I'm sure.  The weather has not been kind to our guests.  We've had plenty of rain and none of our usual sunshine.  The rain has kept the temperature down to far more comfortable levels, around the mid 20's so it's a good 10-14 degrees cooler than a few weeks ago. They did manage to go to surfing school yesterday and had a wonderful time even if it rained...  Thank goodness for a good movie collection, they've built  a nest in the movie room and can be found there much of the time.  I have brought the board games out but as yet they remain untouched.

Some time ago a friend showed me how to do blind contour drawings.  This is where you draw an image without looking at the drawing you are doing. Your eyes remain focused on the subject or model that you are copying.  You also do the image in one continuous line without picking up your pen.  I found it to be hilariously fun, addictive and was surprised to discover I produced some things that I quite liked.  Quirky as they are.

I began with an orchid in a pot.



 Then I got online looking for inspiration and became rather infatuated with images of flamenco dancers.



I then moved onto a seaside landscape with lighthouse, fence and a boat at sea.  Top of page, the bottom scribble is part of the last image I will share with you.  Can you see the funny boat at top right of the image.  Makes me laugh.

Finally an image of an English village.
I think I'll have a play around with adding colour to some of these and see how they come up.  Totally addictive I tell you.

Hope you are all well and happy!

Sandy xxxx



2 comments:

  1. I really like the blind contour drawings! Especially the orchid in the pot.

    They must be good because I recognised Gold Hill in an instant

    http://www.dorsets.co.uk/photos/img112.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated by the contour drawings. Looking at yours even inspires me to have a go but since I can't draw when even looking at the page (remember the dragon/carrot), then I think I'll give it a miss.

    It's a pity the weather's been so crap for your visitors. I hope it fines up for when they go to Fraser.

    xx Susie

    ReplyDelete