Thursday, April 21, 2011

Best fun EVER

I have had so much fun this morning.  My Mum came over with my niece and nephew so that we could try our hand at pasta making. It's something we've talked about doing for such a long time and finally decided that it would make a great holiday activity this week.  After a very small amount of getting started chaos everything went extremely well and it was SO EASY.  It is so EASY to make your own pasta people - give it a go!

For each 100grams of plain flour add one egg to make the pasta mix. We did about 400grams plus 4 eggs. Throw it all in the food processor, give it a whirl until the pasta comes together in little lumps, then turn out onto the bench and give it a knead.  Remind niece - again - to take fingers out of flour/dough/mouth and divide into small portions to go through the pasta machine.  Keep running the dough through the pasta machine, adjusting the rollers each time to make thinner and thinner pasta. This will give you a big thin sheet - which we made into ravioli.  Once we'd made ravioli we used more dough and once thin ran it through the spaghetti attachment - which was a blast.  I was so excited I was much noisier than the kids I'm sure.  Some of the hand cut pasta was hung around the kitchen to dry as you'll see in the photos below. We cooked some up to try - about 2 mins in the pot for the fresh spaghetti and about 4 for the ravioli.  I couldn't believe it - it tasted just like real pasta (HELLO! That's what we made - don't know why I was surpised). It was springy and sticky and soft and just so delicious.  I'll definitely be making it again.


J starting out some dough to make into his long, thin pasta sheet.
Miss R took to it like a pro (when we could get her to stop eating the dough).
Miss R had a brilliant time making and remaking pasta of various shapes.  We left her to it and she had a blast.
We ran out of hanging space so ended up utilizing the bottom oven. I get so giddily excited when I see this. Fun, fun, fun.
Handcut spaghetti everywhere on makeshift hangers.  Beware husband dear I have a plan for a much better setup!
Ready to go into the pot.
Bubble, bubble. 




Little man scoffed himself. No other way to describe it!

The ravioli looks a bit dodgy but look at the spaghetti!!! We made that! Squeeeeaaaal!

1 comment:

  1. OMG!! Looks like so much fun and I know Little Miss R had a fantastic time. She's STILL talking about it and even had pasta again for dinner. Oh dear...!

    ReplyDelete