Sunday, September 11, 2011

Silkeborg

On my first official day in Denmark, Kern, Kathrine, Kristian and I drove south to the city of Silkeborg. The city developed around an old paper factory which has long since transfigured into an entertainment and arts centre. As we drove into town I noted quite a number of car yards and was informed that Silkeborg was the main place to purchase cars in Jutland. The city seems to weave around deep, dark water as it is split in half by a large lake and is also bordered by the River Guden. Our first stop was in a park area where we enjoyed a picnic of tea and what will now be known as Gitte's tart - a lovely pear tart that is as delicious hot or cold.



Canoe after canoe paddled past as we ate. Next on the agenda was a game of mini golf. I'd not played in years and had a lot of fun.




Kathrine takes a putt while Kristian keeps score.



18 holes under our belts we headed off to a waterside cafe for our evening meal. In efficient and considerate Danish style blankets were provided at each chair for the use of chilly patients.



Sadly it wasn't cold enough to snuggle in under one! The kids feasted on nachos, Kern indulged in a burger and I chowed down on a smoked salmon steak and salad. Delicious. Of course any waterside meal requires a stroll along the waterfront post feast so off we set to see the sights and seek out ice-cream.



Although I didn't have an ice-cream I was introduced to the foamy pink guf. Guf is uniquely Danish and is basically raw meringue mixture with strawberry syrup or topping whipped through it. Egg whites, sugar and the strawberry syrup. It was very sweet and light.



View across the water on our walk. All in all a lovely afternoon and evening.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment