Thursday, September 8, 2011

Travel update

I enjoyed a very smooth but very long journey from Brisbane to Karup (on Denmark's mainland). I think I was on the go for about 32 hours. My transit stop in Dubai was fascinating. I felt almost like I was in a market town on a very old trading route. There were men and women wearing traditional African dress (long shirts over trousers), women in saris, a woman in western dress yet covered in the henna tattoos of a bride, women in hijab and men wearing colourful checked cloths on their heads. It was bustling and noisy and fascinating, oh and did I mention hot?! 36' outside at 5.30am and quite hot in my departure terminal. Sand over the city from Dubai airport.



The transit time through immigration and customs in Copenhagen airport was astoundingly quick. From landing to leaving the terminal with my bag took about 20 minutes. I walked to the domestic terminal and was very chuffed to see a bicycle with synthetic roses and foliage woven through it's front and back baskets. Perfect.
After yet another flight I arrived in Karup to see the absolutely beaming smile of one sweet Miss Kathrine. It was just lovely. Dad Kern was there to greet me too which was very kind.



My home in Thorning, Denmark


Part of backyard looking towards great little fire pit and farmers field beyond.



Kristian's pirate ship fort and to right, flag pole. The Danish flag is extremely important here and is used to celebrate all kinds of events. A smaller flagpole is situated in the front yard and a flag is placed in this to celebrate birthdays of family and neighbors in the neighborhood. On your birthday you are woken with a special song and family waving flags. I think it's quite a lovely part of Danish life.


Flag up for neighbors birthday. How sweet is that!

I'll write more later as this will become just too large a post.

Hope you are all well.
Sandy xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment