Saturday, July 30, 2011

Packing Fun

Due to the appalling lack of clothing in my wardrobe, I set off to the shops this week to do some stocking up in preparation for my trip.  I had only two pairs of pants worthy of cool European weather and most of my tops are only suitable for wearing while doing art or pottering in my garden. I'm not overly fond of clothes shopping, yet I ended up having quite an enjoyable time - probably because I found everything I needed on my list and found it easily and at reasonable prices. Bargain!  I came home and put the spoils of my trip onto our bed (excuse the lack of bed linen it was out on the line) and then decided to do a 'mock pack'. Why?  Because there were so many other things to do that I wanted to avoid!! Housework anyone?!!

I travel quite lightly with two cabin sized pieces of luggage even if going away for a long period (longer than a month). I'm known for my packing skills (a funny personal quirk) and have helped a number of friends to pack their bags for trips. Years ago I arrived in England for Liz's wedding and she had all of her honeymoon packing waiting for me on my bed when I got there. Cute.  Anyway, this is what I packed into my bags during my mock pack.
At the rear you will see my two pieces of luggage.  I will check the red one and use the black one as carry on. To give you some idea of size I wear a size 5 shoe (UK) so have very tiny feet or if it's easier the black folder at the bottom of the pile of books etc is A4 size.  When compared to my bags you see how small they are.  This is what I was able to pack in:

  • 2 bras, 9 pairs of underpants, 2 bras and 3 camisoles
  • long winter pyjamas and my bedsocks
  • 1 microfibre cardigan (sporty outdoor style)
  • 1 warm wool dress cardi in gray
  • 1 teal wool jumper in teal
  • 1 cardi/wrap in green
  • padded warm red vest 
  • 1 light fashion vest in navy (to add variety to outfits - not sure if I'll take it)
  • long black wrap in a light stretchy fabric
  • 1 cotton scarf in fantastic blue/purple
  • 7 Short-sleeved cotton t-shirts
  •  7 shirts with either full or 3/4 sleeve length
  • 2 dressy blouses
  • 3 dresses
  • 2 pairs of leggings (for yoga and to wear under skirt or dresses)
  • 1 stretch skirt in charcoal
  • 1 pair denim capris (in the hopes of warm weather)
  • Black palazzo pants in cotton
  • 2 pairs of jeans (plus wear one pair on plane)
  • Brown boots (aah, warm toes)
  • My Merrell Mary Janes (little walking shoes - comfy as)
  • Toiletries, hairdrier (travel), glasses
  • Medication
  • Camera, iPad, iphone,chargers, adaptors
  • Cloth handbag (my everyday one here)
  • Tickets, passport, travel documents
  • Book and journal, pens
  • my art portfolio
  • 2 necklaces that are colourful and bright and match everything
This is far too much so will ditch a fair bit.  Even with the very slow dry time of washing in the UK I definitely don't need 14 shirts and 2 blouses.  Crazy.  I think I'll have a look for  a light coat - windproof, showerproof - over the next few weeks and pop it in as an outer layer. I tossed my old coat last year as it was shedding it's waterproof layer like dandruff.  I'll also wear my sneakers (trainers) on the flight.

Oh, this all fit in without me packing the pockets on the inside or outside of the red bag and with the extension zip closed so I have lots more room yet.  The gifts I'm taking take up very little room so I have heaps of room for them too.

My basic advice is pack clothing that mixes and matches. Take less than you think you need and roll, roll, roll those clothes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment