Saturday, May 5, 2012

Grocery Challenge

Those of you who know me well know that I equate every cent I save to a proportion of an airfare.  A strange quirk that amuses many.  This same quirk has also seen me find the money to travel on occasions where it really shouldn't be financially possible.  My sister has recently started her grocery challenge again and I've decided to jump on board. I did start one some time ago but haven't been as strict as Susan's $80 per week.  We are planning to take our niece and 3 nephews to Disneyland in around 4-5 years time so I've decided it is time to really start saving for this memorable trip. I also want to start saving for another trip for Jeff and I. Perhaps back to the States or if my health decides to be miraculously accommodating, a cycle trip in Europe.

This weekend Jeff is away on a Scouts training camp so I am going to take advantage of his absence to stock the freezer with some baking, soups and to sit down and menu plan for the next month.  I'm going to trawl back through my menu plans and my Destitute Gourmet cookbooks and plan my menus and baking. It's always advantageous to bake when Jeff is away as the man is a human food disposal unit - lucky he exercises so much! I have half a decent chance to freeze the baking in portions where the man with the munchies won't find them as easily.

So in support of and being totally inspired by my dear sister, I will give myself $80 per week to feed our family of 4 (Jeff and I and two raw fed sweet labradors). Wish me luck.

Sandy xxx

1 comment:

  1. I am so humbled that I've inspired you to do this challenge. It mainly takes organisation (which I know you are superb at) and some willpower and it's probably easier than you think. Good luck petal. Luv ya! xx Susan

    ReplyDelete