Our task was to paint small but with a big brush. This initially felt strange and awkward and for me it took many weeks to become comfortable. Using STRAIGHT lines and and tone 3 mix of colour, draw in the image.
Develop a tonal study of the subject. This will act as an under painting for the colour to go over later.
Continue to develop the tonal study and start to shape the pear, shadows and reflections. Focus on chiaroscuro, the play of light and dark within the painting.
Start to add colour and realise that "I am really rubbish at blending". I am pleased to say that I have improved since then!
About 5 minutes later.... I kid you not, this is how it looked. Finish blending, add highlights (which I could have played up more here), add stem with giant awkward brush and almost like magic....Voila! A traditional still life of a pear. Thank you Don, I never could have imagined painting this in this manner and with success. Lots of room for improvement but a success anyway.



5 minutes later? Amazing. You are going from strength to strength with your art.
ReplyDeleteI wonder whether you have seen the recently unveiled portrait of HRH Catherine, Duchess of Wessex? It was painted by an artist who lives in our town (a lovely man). Wonder what you think of it?
So good to hear from you!
I know I'm seeing you almost everyday lately but it's wonderful to 'see' you back blogging. I can remember when you painted the pear and was amazed at how quickly the transformation took place. Then again I'm amazed at any artwork that looks good. Remember my dragon in Pictionary........
ReplyDeletexx Susan
Lovely to read your blog Sandra and I am delighted to see your painting of the pear exercise taken from my painting classes. Well done and congratulations. Looks great and an excellent example of just how this simple exercise can deliver fabulous results quickly and reinforces good painting techniques. I hope I see many more of your paintings on this blog site soon.. Best wishes and Happy Creating always.. Don Milner
ReplyDelete