Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A meadow in the studio

Nothing but flowers will do for me this week.  They are preoccupying far too much thinking space and are greedily claiming my attention.  Overtaken by this current obsession I ventured out into the garden, my two sweet girls at my heels sniffling and snuffling as they read the messages left in the world that only dogs can read.  Now I have an extensive, very full, somewhat wild garden which covers most of our 1.3 acres.  It is a very green garden however full of trees and shrubs and many things wild and green, so I wasn't hopeful of finding many blooms to appease my need for flowers.  Well, what a surprise I had.  A snip here, a snip there, up high, down low and suddenly I had so many blooms and interesting things I needed to run and gather a wee basket.  I continued to snip and when the basket was full I returned inside with a happy, smiley heart to lay out my bounty ready to photograph and sketch.




There are blooms from tibouchina, candlestick plant, jasmine, crucifix orchid, dahlia, geranium/pelargonium, geisha, dandelion, pentas, ixora, hydrangea, the dried seedpods of a native iris and the flower from a croton. So much colour and yet because it is so spread out amongst the riot of green that I don't notice them so much.  Shame, shame, shame. 

I'm off to bed so I will share some of the sketches next time.  Goodnight and sleep sweet wherever you are.

1 comment:

  1. What a pretty gathering of flowers. Don't they lift the spirit??!! I love sketching flowers, they really make you "look" at the details and the delicacy of them is very awe inspiring!!
    Thanks for sharing them!! XX
    Sherri XX

    ReplyDelete