Inspired by the process of a few different artists I set myself up to try something new this week. During our Open Studio this weekend I prepped a canvas by covering it with impasto gel and then pressing tissue paper into it. As I applied the tissue paper, I let it form lines and scrunched it up in places. I then let this dry for a couple of days (it's raining again) then covered it with a light coat of gesso. In terrible blogging form I forgot to photograph any of this process! Sorry. Today, I got out the paints and set to having a play. I laid in a background first with a large brush and LOVED painting on the texture of the tissue paper. It was so different to painting on canvas. Remember if you click on the images they will enlarge and you'll be able to see the texture clearly.

Next I built up layers using all sorts of tools and techniques that I don't usually use and some I've never used before when I think about it. I used sponges, brushes, palette knife and also applied very fluid paint by flicking and dribbling paint onto the canvas. It was fun but oops, so very messy (cue image of me on hands and knees scrubbing floor).
I have no idea of the original source of the image that I was inspired by. The original interpretation done by another unknown artist has been on my inspiration board for a very long time. I'm going to use these techniques again now that I've had a play. This time I think I will try an image of one of our mountains. Can't wait to get started.
Thank you for supporting my art journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment