Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Open Studio Week 2

Working with another artist in my space is really enjoyable and it seems to be influencing my work in unexpected ways.  While we waited for people to brave the poor weather and visit Aannsha and I used our time to be productive.  I find that I can't concentrate on any pieces in realistic style when Aannsha is there so I worked on some small bird images that I had prepared so I could just 'colour' with paint once she had arrived.  Once these were done I experimented with another intuitive painting.

This is the first intuitive painting I did some weeks ago in the presence of my sister.  It was a totally new style for me and I felt quite lost when painting it.  The colours represent some of my favourites that feature frequently in my work, the teals, pthalos blue and green, purple, red and yellow.  I find it to be quite harmonious and I ended up quite liking the finished piece.
 My second intuitive painting I did in the company of Aannsha during our first open studio.  I have used the same colour palette as the painting above, however I've altered the proportions.  Warm colours are predominant instead of being used as accents and my beloved blues and purples have taken a back seat.  This was hard work as I suspect an intuitive painting shouldn't be. I have received some favourable comments about this piece but I don't feel comfortable with it or like it very much overall.
 This is my most recent intuitive painting.  Once again I have used the same colour palette as the previous two.  I mean that quite literally. I have paint in two ice cube trays containing a limited range of colours and I've used the same ones in all three paintings. Intuitive paintings are built up in layers and I've allowed more of the bottom layers to show through on this one.  It's unusual (to me as I'm not really into abstract art) but I like it more than my second attempt.  It reminds me of the landscape of Kakadu where I lived years ago.  The red rocks, the yellow vegetation, the billabongs and waterlillies.
Here are the three side by side for comparative purposes.  I can see growth in them even if I don't understand it!
Aannsha worked on a large felting project during the day and it made me realise that I would probably never be a felter.  Realistically, it would exhaust me the way my body is.  It proved to be a very prolonged and physical exercise for Aannsha to create the felt and then shape it.  This is what she produced.....
a very Dr Seussish vase or container.  It reminds me of the Grinch and the quirky art of Dr Seuss.  I love the green. 
We also watched this video on making a felt yurt that Aannsha had found on YouTube.  It's pretty incredible. So much work.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work! I especially love the piece with the lotus pods. It was great meeting you tonight and I look forward to joining you all on the next artist trail
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete