Sunday, January 17, 2016

Watch, Listen, Read

 Here are a few of the things that I have been watching recently.  The movies are made from books I love that I read some time ago - actually I think I was reading 'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed about this time last year.  Well done Reece Witherspoon and crew for bringing Cheryl's story to the screen so effectively.  On our trip to Oregon, Jeff and I stayed along the Columbia River Gorge not far from the Bridge of the Gods so it was lovely to visit it again - even vicariously and oh so briefly. The movie depicts Cheryl's struggle after the death of her mother and her decision to hike the PC (Pacific Crest Trail) as a way to find herself again. The PC trail runs from the Mexican border at it's southern end to Canada in the north.  Click on the link to learn more.

Bill Bryson's, "A Walk in the Woods", is a long time favourite and I am delighted with how this film turned out.  I imagined Bill's delight at being played by the eternally handsome Robert Redford but I was unable to imagine Robert playing Bill.  He did so, wonderfully!  Nick Nolte plays the crude yet likeable Katz who walks the Appalachian Trail with Bill and he too delivers a great performance.  Lots of fun (a bit of swearing so heads up to those who don't go in for that).  The funny moments from the book where I near peed myself translated well to film - bladder control remained intact!  Passing the film on to Mum who laughed so much and so loudly reading the book that she kept waking up my father who was asleep in the next room.  I think she'll enjoy the film as well.  Now I have a new favourite thing to watch while ironing!
 Speaking of ironing, while I worked through an obscenely enormous ironing pile (Jeff's work clothes) this week, I had a Sherlock marathon.  One of my favourite TV series.  Jeff and I recently went to the movies with my friend Donna to see it's latest installment.  Keep them coming team.  Love your work!!
Instead of listening to the radio when driving I have developed the habit of plugging my phone into the stereo and listening to podcasts that I have saved.  I don't need to listen to a lot of the dribble, poor pranks etc that go on on the radio and get to fill my time listening to really interesting and inspiring programmes.  My two absolute favourites at present are Karen Hager at Out of the Fog Radio, and Koren Motekaitis at How She Really Does It.  Love them. I've been listening to Pam Grout (E2 and E3) on both shows and was lead to the works of author David Michie after listening to him on Karen's show.


My latest literary crush is David Michie (thanks to Karen's interview for putting him on my radar).  Since shortly before Christmas I have read the following books of his.....

I loved all of them.  They are beautifully written and share such wisdom and joy and humour.  In fact I think that The Magician of Lhasa has become one of my most favourite books of all time.  I initially read them on my kindle but as they are 'keepers' I am ordering them in paperback to add to my collection to share.  If you want great books to read that are delightful and just happen to gently introduce you to the beliefs and some practices of the Tibetan Buddhists, grab these.  You won't regret it.

I am currently reading "The Way of the Quest" by Dr George Blair-West, a Brisbane based psychiatrist/psychologist - oops can't recall which.  It reminds me a bit of "The Alchemist" by Paolo Coelho.  The wisdom of the book deals with finding your life purpose, how to find your path and your joy.  Very appropriate for me at present and lots of strangely synchronistic links between my outer life and the story in the book.  Love it when that happens.

And finally...... raising my wand in memory of the late, magnificent Alan Rickman.  By Grapthar's Hammer he will be missed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment