Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Planning to Reclaim the Wilds.

We have a large property (1.3acres) and much of it is gardens.  With Jeff working long hours in the city, and not being a natural gardener, and my capricious health, the garden has just carried on in it's own wild way.  I rather like the natural, wild look BUT it's a bit too wild at present.  I love gardening but have struggled to manage it with my compromised energy and pain issues.  I realise that Flylady has helped me to manage the house with ease no matter how I feel so have decided to attempt to apply her principles to the garden.  I've roughly drawn a picture of our yard and am trying to work out how to allocate Flylady's zone system to it.  I'm being very indecisive and keep changing my mind about how to approach making a plan....
I'm leaving out the 1/4 acre of 'bush' behind the fence where our dam is and I think I'll ignore the large treed gardens that run along the fenceline on either side of the backyard (light green).

Here is what I am thinking.....

Mornings - front gardens
Zone 1 - driveway gardens (dark green stripe)
Zone 2 - Light green stripe
Zone 3 - Blue stripe triangular shape
Zone 4 - Blue green stripe
Zone 5 - Blue green x side boundary at front.

Afternoon  - back gardens
Zone 1 - Gardens along back verandah - near tank, entertaining area...
Zone 2 - Pool Garden and yard
Zone 3 - Area under poinciana
Zone 4 - Side boundary garden between house and garden shed
Zone 5 - Shade garden and Orchard (big but I can take turns between them)

As much as I'd love to spend long hours in the garden each day that is not realistic.  My plan is to do 15 minutes each morning and 15 minutes each afternoon. If I'm not having a great day or am pushed for time I can do 5 or 10 minutes. Flylady allocates a zone per week of each month which would mean that I would work in each garden once per month.  I'm not sure if this is the best way to go or if I should do one zone per weekday (Monday = Zone 1, Tuesday = Zone 2 etc).  Weekends we can work on whatever we fancy.

Other Flylady adaptations:

Morning Routine - water potplants, pick up palm fronds and branches/twigs and throw on fire pile, clean up after dogs

27 Fling Boogie - dead head flowers, pull weeds, etc

Well, that gives me a bit of a plan to start with and to try and make some positive progress in the garden.  Wish me luck and if you have any better ideas - like hiring a sexy gardener! - let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I Keep trying this, hope I can get it to work this time. My garden is also a jungle,luckily its not as big as your. with my bad back, dodgy knees and low thyroid levels I am managing about 10mins gardening a day at present. At least I can paint sitting down. Viv

    ReplyDelete