Sunday, May 10, 2020

Garden

Some time ago I headed off to Bunnings and bought myself two raised garden bed kits which I put together then filled lasagne style with sugar cane mulch, compost, manure, blood and bone.  This is what it looked like then...
It's been awhile and the capsicums and zucchinis never survived the grub plague that ate it's way through our community.  Here are photos of the garden taken today.
 The strawberries have been prolific but Sophie helps herself to them so I have had not a one from the crop. :) I still have rocket, lettuce, chives, tomatoes (a few different types now) and have added wombok and bok choy as I was given seedlings that my uncle had in surplus.  As you can see the top layer of cane mulch is decomposing nicely and the plants are all very happy. What amazes me is how low the soil has sunk.
 The soil was right to the top when I first set the garden up and it's down a good 15cm now.  It's such an easy way to garden that I'd recommend it to anyone.  The soil stays moist too reducing the amount of watering that needs to be done.
Letting one of the lettuce go to seed so it will produce it's own little ones. A new planting of wombok at the empty end.  This is a good photo to see how much the soil has subsided.

My brother was here earlier and we were talking about doubling the size of the garden by purchasing another kit and adding it to the length of the present garden.  That will give me room to plant asparagus which I LOVE growing.  I also have seeds for wild garlic, viroflay spinach and daikon radishes (these were a gift). I have two pineapple plants and a variety of herbs on the other side of the tank. Being a bit more self sufficient in fresh produce is something that is important to me and I enjoy time in the garden.  There is something so joyful and comforting about growing your own produce.

My miniature citrus trees are in pots around the side of the house and have not grown well, largely due to gross negligence on my part.  I think when I take my next study break I'll move them around and put them in a better position. Maybe in Sophie's holes to prevent her digging..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment