Monday, January 2, 2012

Progress of a painting

As I promised yesterday I've taken a new photo to share the progress of my final assessment piece. I still have much to do: building up multiple layers of paint, changing the colours of some of my background greens, adding another fern to the right side of the canvas and painting in the paddocks of pineapples and our local red earth on the right also. I need to adjust the colour of the window edge, it's currently dark brown and is not working. I am also unhappy with the colours on the bowl they simply aren't 'right' and you can't see the subtle changes in colour between the darker interior of the bowl and the exterior. Still need to put the highlights in but need to resolve my colour issues first. This style of painting requires solid colour blocks with no discernible brushstrokes. What do you think? Do you gain a sense of looking out of a window into the distance? What do you see as the focal point, the thing that draws your eye back continually? Does the painting encourage your eye to move around the canvas and keep returning to the focal point?




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the comments on my blog. As I sit looking at the horrid weather outside I can't imagine why your art tutor would want to live here rather than Australia! Thanks for the info by the way. I'd love to do a course like yours but not sure I have your staying power.

    As for your painting. I like the fact that the windowline is dark brown as it gives a distinct definition between outside and inside.

    I also like the primary colours of the orchid pot, bowl and lemons grouped together.

    My eye travels around the painting with the focal point for me being the space just above the second fern from the right. The lines of the orchid and ferns direct the eyes giving plenty of encouragement to move around the scene. Also there is intrigue - what exactly is in the jars on the right?

    Well done! I am watching with interest.

    ReplyDelete