Sunday, January 1, 2012

Progress Report

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you've all enjoyed a happy holiday period. Ours was lovely with Christmas day spent here with my family and Boxing Day spent with Jeff's aunt, uncle and family on the Redcliffe Peninsula. Nephew J has been extremely keen to get the Christmas lights up, so to grant his wish I spent a day before Christmas doing this...



Sorting through boxes of lights and attachments passed on to me by an uncle. There are still two more boxes to sort. It provided some excitement for Nephew J when he got to switch the lights on as the sun set.







In between Christmas, outings and visitors I've managed to work on a secret but quite large project and make a start on my final painting.



I drew the image directly onto the canvas, ruling up all my perspective lines for the pot, bowl and jars and then deleting them once I had the ellipses drawn in properly. Just to break the ice I put down a layer of red on my pot.



As the painting progressed, I decided to do away with the curtains on either side of the canvas. I wanted the feel of looking out a window with a broad view. The curtains made the image feel confined and I'm pleased with the alteration. I put about 6 hours in on it today but unfortunately ran out of light so you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how it is progressing.

Once again, I'm finding that I really don't like my art until it's at least 70% finished. I've been full of questions and self doubt and find the only thing to do is just keep going and work out the answers to my questions on the canvas. I'll be back tomorrow with further update photos. See you then.

1 comment:

  1. A Happy New Year to you - am watching your painting progress with interest - I really like the style and the colours. There's been a lot of planning for the composition and it's great to see how it's progressing. I particularly like the way the ferns draw the eyes to the mountain valley.

    ReplyDelete