Monday, February 20, 2012

Savings Challenge Pt 2

A short while back I posted about doing a savings challenge. So far I'm doing quite well.  On a larger scale, we are refinancing our home loan which is going to provide us with significant savings annually.  We have also transferred our private health insurance to another provider and we are saving near on $200 per month for our trouble and for the same coverage.  Love it!  Have to look into our insurance plans to see if I can get a better deal there too.  Easy BIG savings made with very little effort.

On the front lines, I've started with a grocery challenge.  A grocery challenge can mean having a limited amount to spend on groceries per week,like when my sister Susan and her family lived on $80 per week for groceries for three months. It could mean doing a $21 challenge like they do at Simple Savings, where you spend only $21 on groceries for a specific week.  For my grocery challenge, I am starting by trying to make better use of what I already have in the house by getting organised and starting to menu plan again.  My pantry and freezers are well stocked, in fact overstocked in some ways thanks to a generous gift basket of groceries at Christmas.  Here is my process....

1.  Take a thorough stocktake of what is in the pantry, fridge and freezer.
Yes my pantry really does look like this....  I don't know whether it is sad or impressive! :) This is mainly grains, legumes, baking bits and pieces, spices.  I also have two large, deep drawers beneath this.
This one contains further baking/snack supplies like nuts, dried fruits and cooking chocolate, as well as tinned produce like fish, legumes, standby fruit, coconut milks and a few odds and sods. The bottom draw contains further staples that don't fit in the shelving section. This is mainly due to purchasing in bulk to take advantage of specials. 
2.  Once I've taken  a detailed inventory of all available food in the house, I make a menu plan using what is on hand. My menu plan includes Snacks, Lunches and our main evening meal. I write my grocery list from this.
This weeks menu plan....
Main Meals
Spaghetti bolognaise served over pasta or jacket potatoes.  
Corned beef and plum sauce with mixed veg mash and green beans. Cook in slow cooker as it's art day and I'll be tired.  (Need corned beef)
Curried or garlic prawns, brown rice and steamed/stirfry veg. 
Sausages and vegetables or salad - depending on what we feel like. 
My Cranberry, orange and ginger pork chops, roasted sweet potato and balsamic tomatoes, greens. 
Leftovers for Jeff (I have a very rare girls night out!)

Snacks
Fruit, vegetable sticks, yoghurt and nuts
Any baking I've done

Lunches
Leftovers
Salad sandwiches or wraps
Salad in a bowl with cold meats, tinned fish or boiled egg

I only needed to pick up the corned beef, milk,  fresh fruit and veg and some cheese.  I grabbed a tin of tuna and a sauce to replenish pantry stocks and picked up some fish on special to put towards next week's menu.  I've been doing the challenge for 3 weeks so far and have saved $200 off my usual shopping over the same period (I'm also not counting meat for the dogs in this).  We've had guests for dinner in that time and I've also been having art group here each Tuesday and provide morning tea.  Being a bit tired of late I have purchased the morning tea instead of baking at home (which is the much more affordable option). Needs must and I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

I'll keep stretching what I have on hand and may even do a grocery challenge with a set limit in the future.  How are you going with your menu plans and using up those things that mysteriously get avoided and overlooked in our pantries.

No comments:

Post a Comment