Saturday, April 7, 2012

A snapshot of my week

This week has been simply glorious, as often is the case at this time of year in these parts. The light is softer and less harsh, temperatures have dropped to the high twenties Celsius and breezes and shadows are cool and refreshing. Both days and nights are spectacularly clear and I am irresistibly called out into them. I find myself constantly outside and it makes me feel so happy and contented. So deeply grateful to be here in this moment with loveliness spilling over and around me. Each morning I eat my breakfast on the front verandah and just soak the beauty in, heart soaring and smile on my face. The dogs lie at my feet as the dawn chorus fills the air around us. Dragonflies hover and dip and dive, and joy, oh joy, birdwing butterflies feast on the flowers in the garden. These butterflies are rare and endangered and we, along with our neighbours, have planted the vines and flowers essential to their lifecycle. Happy, so happy to see it is working and to have at least 4 breakfasting and fluttering in my garden.
I'm enjoying the garden more as I've managed to make some progress in the wild jungle of weeds and overgrowth that's been staring at me balefully for so long. I work 15 minutes at a time each day and have uncovered strawberries, asparagus, dahlias and eating ginger that has positively thrived on neglect. This is just a small part of one clump. See the tiny flowers?





The ginger is in my small herb and vegetable garden which has been sadly neglected since I've been ill. In the past week I have Loved it back into shape and added a host of potted colour that I am hoping will look spectacular in weeks to come. I feel so very relieved to have transformed this tangled mess and to still feel well after doing so!





It's Easter Saturday today and quiet. I feel almost as if I live in my own secret garden full of birds and butterflies and sweet, tender breezes. Bliss. Jeff is out doing manly important things such as crawling around in the roof cavity, clambering onto the roof and making important noises of a rattling and tinkering kind in the shed. Another happy heart pottering around our yard today. He found these in the ceiling earlier.....





Can you see what they are?





They are snake skins and that is my one metre ruler alongside to help you gauge the size. My sister and her family are coming tonight for a bonfire and barbeque. The kids are going to be delighted by the skins and will no doubt drape the skins around themselves and imagine they are Steve the crocodile hunter. Steve may be gone but he's still very much alive in our lives. The bonfire is to burn some garden waste as we have had a tree down in recent poor weather as well as many branches and palm fronds.
I'm going to love and leave you so I can go out and enjoy the day. The parrots are in at the bird feeder and our very vocal butcher bird and family are warbling impatiently on the back verandah in anticipation of a treat. I think I shall eat my own lunch out with them. Chat again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful - if I were nearer I'd pop in and see you to have a closer look at the ginger and the snake skins.

    ReplyDelete