Monday, June 10, 2013

Flelvis

I've made good progress with my Flelvis painting over only a couple of sessions.  Overall the portrait has come together far more quickly than I had expected. I'm not sure whether I think things will be harder and take longer than the reality or if I'm becoming a faster painter... The head was an exception, every time I looked at it I seemed to find something else that needed touching up or refining.  Here are some progress photos.

Further underpainting and starting to build up the final layers. The portrait is starting to take shape.
Concentrating on the folds in the costume fabric.  I wanted to portray them realistically while making them more understated than they appear in real life.  In the photograph the folds and shadows in the fabric are quite pronounced and there are embellishments of gold, gold ric rac and a large gem on the chest.  My client wishes to include some 'bling' and I'm trying to work out how to do this without detracting from the face of the dog (the costume already commands most of the attention).
In an attempt to draw attention away from the costume and back to the dog's face I have played with the background.  I've lightened the area near to his face while adding more blue to the purple to link it to the blue at the base of the painting.  To lessen the contrast between the costume and the background and to make the whole background more cohesive, I have glazed the purple used at the top over the blue at the bottom. I think this has helped to increase the prominence of the face. I'm really thinking that the addition of gems and sequins will take too much focus from the face so am thinking that some subtle use of glitter may work to suit the clients needs and add to the painting without over powering it.  I think some silver glitter on the fabric under the dog's chin.  Some red on the highlighted parts of the red fabric and some sparkle on some parts of the white fabric like perhaps the collar.  What do you think?  I'd appreciate some feedback as I know you have some good ideas out there....

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sandy, this is looking very good, I do understand your concern with the colour contrasts and keeping the dog's face as the focus area. At the moment I feel the costume is too white in comparision to the rest of the painting. It just stands out there so much. What do you think?? could you dull off the white a little bit?? maybe some very subtle bluey silverish colouring?? Hope that gives some "food for thought" and I havnt upset you??
    Love Sherri XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherri,

    Good comments. I have already toned down the white with heaps of blue and some warm colours in areas. My client came last night and it is now COVERED in glitter and sparkly gems and she is absolutely delighted with it. Thrilled in fact. That's what counts in the end I suppose. Thanks for the feedback - it's all been so different. Carol phoned with the message 'the more glitter the better'! That's so Carol. :)

    ReplyDelete