Thursday, May 8, 2014

An inspiring day out. Part 1

On Sunday we had a family outing to the Maleny Wood Expo which is an annual event for us.  This year we took my Mum and our niece along for the day.  It was quite a bustling event which is fantastic for the organisers.  It was a simply glorious day too although a bit chilly for little Miss R.

There were the usual wood turned pieces.  I fell in love with some spurkles (for stirring your porridge) but was so sidetracked by so many other wondrous things that I left empty handed after forgetting all about them.

My favourite form of woodwork are the hand carved pieces.  I like whittling too and my eye lingered over the whittling knives before I gathered myself and walked away.  I don't think I've shared my strong desire to do do woodworking, pyrography or pottery with you here on this blog.  Life has just been too strained and full to try anything new.  Jeff's patience would be sorely tested too as he things I should stick.  to... one....thing!!!  Where's the fun in that!
 What's a wood festival without a carved Yoda figure? 

This was one of my favourite pieces of the day.  Sadly I didn't get to see it close up due to the crowd so I held the camera way up and hoped for the best.  One of those days where being so vertically challenged is an annoyance.

I was so pleased to see workshops taking place where people were happily trying something new and enjoying themselves. 

The festival also included handcrafted outdoor furniture, timber sales, wood toys and oddments, home decor, information tents set up by Barung Landcare, the Guide Dogs association, there were bird watchers, a snake tent, demonstrating tree surgeons swinging up high, street perfomers, a concert hall, chain saw mills, and wood chapels for hire. It is well worth a visit for those who are interested although it is no longer as affordable to attend as it once was. 

I'll share our favourite and most creative part of the day with you tomorrow.



1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a neat event! I love wood things and I have always wanted to try making pottery, but I don't need another hobby like that LOL!

    ReplyDelete