Thursday, May 15, 2014

Studio tour. Part 1

Hello!  Here I am in a publicity shot for our Open Studio's.  I thought you might like a peep at my studio, how I set it up and use the space etc.  My studio is in the living area of the granny flat that we have at one end of our house.  The flat is open to the house and adjoins the formal living area or 'play room' which I use for my main gallery. 

Here I am working at a folding table covered in oil cloth.  Depending on what sort of painting I am doing I either stand here at an easel or sit as I am in the photograph to work on pieces.  After far too much scrubbing of the floor Cinderella style, I have finally taped a huge drop cloth down under all of my work areas.
A different view of my painting table.  You can see my newly acquired Ektorp shelving unit from IKEA which I am having a total romance with. Previously I had a lovely but dark old Narnia style wardrobe and a cane hutch here.  This shelving unit is narrower, makes better use of space and has really opened up the studio as well as lightening things up.  As it is still relatively new, I am still having fun working out how to arrange my bibs and bobs in it and how to most effectively use the space available to me.

When I work here I can look straight out the sliding door into the gardens of my back yard.  The whip bid is my most frequent avian visitor which is such a treat.  When I sit in my knitting and crochet corner by the door he is often not more than two feet from me.
From this angle you are better able to see my little desk where I do my graphite and charcoal drawings and any administrative work, journal writing, planning and the like.  The left side of the shelving unit houses mainly art books, paperwork and some fabric.  Art materials tend to be towards the right of the unit.  You can see through the arch into the play room and gallery.  These windows look into my front garden so whichever way I look I see gardens full of birds and butterflies, the odd possum, goanna or other visiting wildlife.  Lucky girl.

I'll share my other work spaces and some close ups in upcoming posts.

Sandy xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment