Saturday, November 26, 2011

Falling behind

At present I feel as though I'm running in circles and getting nowhere. I'm not DOING much but my mind is going crazy. It's as though I've just woken up and realised that impending deadlines - final art piece, a couple of birthdays and Christmas are looming large in my face.  How did Christmas suddenly get so close and more importantly how did I reach the end of November in such a disorganised state?  My Christmas shopping and gift making is usually completed by the end of October. I usually have a nice little stockpile of groceries and Christmas extras in the cupboard by now, purchased bit by bit each week to keep expenses down.  I usually have an idea about WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON with Christmas, birthdays etc but I have NO CLUE.  Not only have I not done any Christmas shopping, I don't even know what to get for anyone.  I don't even know if Christmas is going to be at our place or what the plans of the rest of the family are. 

I think I'll spend this stinking hot Saturday
  • going through the present cupboard to see if I have presents I've forgotten about
  • making a list of who I exchange gifts with and work out what on earth I am going to give people
  • make plans to purchase/make any gifts
  • TALK to the family and work out who is doing what for Christmas so I know whether or not we are having our usual Christmas here by the pool and in the air-conditioning or if other plans need to be made.
  • plan my time for the next few weeks to get me efficiently through 'Tree Day' (where the kids come and help me decorate my house and put up the tree), birthdays, final art assessment, Christmas, a visit from friends and their kids in January.
  • Menu plan so I don't have to think about meals each night
  • Oh God - write my Christmas newspaper and send out cards (have been too sick to do this the past 2 or 3 years so really feel I should make an effort this year).
  • Oh crap - post gifts to UK. I'm late, I'm late......
  • I also need to buy/make a calendar for next year as I already have medical appointments booked through until November 2012 and they are floating around the kitchen on appointment cards and post it notes.  NEED TO GET ORGANISED.
Being a somewhat organised person I know that those of you our there who know me will be wondering how I managed to find myself in the state I'm in (which all things considered isn't tragic).  It is starting to cause me  some anxiety and I know that if I put some time into organising my time and my thinking I'll get everything done and done easily.  I think my art course, trip to UK (which drained my spirit and my brain), and then a trip to Fiji at such a busy time of year combined with me not being fantastically well again of late have all combined to see me as disorganised and behind as I am.

Does this happen to anyone else?  How do you deal with life when you get behind or feel as though you are behind? How do you cope with being busy?  I'm off to sort myself out.  Will keep you up to date on how I'm going.  Stay well and if you're feeling stressed and overwhelmed, make a cuppa, sit down with me and take half an hour or so to sort out your life on paper, then roll up your sleeves and get to it.

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up.

    I have nothing organised for Christmas if that's any consolation! Last year I made the decision NOT to send Christmas cards and, instead, make a donation to charity. I was able to email and Facebook a Christmas greeting and that was that. I did send about 5 cards to my sisters and Mum.

    I'll be doing the same this year. It had got to the point where I really didn't enjoy sending out 100 cards and worrying if I'd forgotten anyone. Of course this idea is not for everyone.

    We have slimmed down Christmas considerably and aim to have a simpler celebration, enjoying good food with whoever wants to come.

    I think your art course, trips to UK and Fiji have been very important things to do for your spirit.

    Just prioritise what needs doing first - perhaps the calendar and the meal plan. I'm sure all will slot into place and, do you know what? If it doesn't will it matter?

    Stay well .... all will be fine.

    ReplyDelete