Thursday, March 10, 2016

A Mess of Recipes

It's been a bit rainy and hot this week cancelling my gardening plans.  I've been tired too but wanting to achieve things, to still move forward, make progress, have control over SOMETHING in my life! :)  So, I dove into my recipe collection and went a bit nuts.  I decided that I wanted to ensure that I always had a copy of 'that recipe', you know the absolute favourite one Aunty Jan scribbled on a piece of notepaper and you stuffed in a box, and my absolute must have's from different books, friends, magazines and online.  I wanted to save them all in one place on the computer and my dear friend May inspired me to save them onto Dropbox so that not only were they securely backed up but I could access them from wherever I am on the planet. 

I have started with my absolute must have recipes.  My basics. The things I turn to time and again even if infrequently. The things I am asked to make for others. No knead bread, microwave polenta, pecan spice cake, curry pastes, cinnamon buns, a variety of salads, sides and mains.  You get my drift. I also started with the recipes written on scraps of paper, torn from magazines (and used and loved - not the torn from magazines and we are now a pile of clutter recipes).  Then I moved onto Jamie Oliver, the great Maggie Beer, Nigella Lawson and Sophie Gray. 
I'm slowly saving recipes into files and of course all of that recipe gazing and food porn has inspired me to start a list of new things to try.  This weekend I'm doing Jamie Oliver's Roast Chicken in milk. Yep, you read that right.  Milk. Moo. Will let you know how it goes.

Midsomer Murders plays and keeps me company in the background.  Well loved and sometimes forgotten recipes and the memories that go with them keep unfolding before me and a deep sense of satisfaction is arising from organising these precious things so that I will have them always.  I feel like I'm having a declutter and making life easier somehow.  I'm rediscovering my love of cooking.  Feels good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment