I spent this morning pottering in the kitchen listening to podcasts. Oh I love podcasts. I started by giving my recipe book area a thorough pull everything out and clean. Aaah, sigh of satisfaction. It didn't actually take very long and I just plodded along, resting when I needed to.
All this exposure to cook books in addition to a need to have something on hand to eat for lunch, I decided to make use of the large bag of onions I had in my basket and make French Onion Soup. Mine is a Jamie Oliver recipe.
On a very low heat melt some butter into some olive oil and toss in a handful of thyme, about 6 cloves of garlic, crushed and some bay leaves. As the butter melted I cut up 1kg of onions.
Cook very slowly on a low heat, you want to bring out the sugars in the onion. I popped the lid on and left it for 15 minutes, stirring occassionally while I continued cleaning.
Once they are soft and gooey and cooked down - probably a few more minutes after I took the above photo - turn the heat up and brown the onions off.
I cooked these for a tiny bit longer and they were a golden brown and sticky. Pour in 1.3l of stock. Any flavour will do but I like beef in this particular recipe. Cook for a further 20 minutes or so.
Jamie tears in chunks of bread, artistically adds gruyere cheese and tosses his under the grill to present you with a soup covered in bready, melted cheese. Although simple that was far too much faffing around for me so I just put some in a bowl and tossed some grated cheddar in as that is what I had on hand. Oh my goodness. It was absolutely delicious. I had forgotten how flavoursome and unexpected the flavour of this soup is.
I'm trying Jamie's Roast Chicken in milk tonight. Will let you know how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment