
The first book I read this week was
Heart's Blood.
Juliet Marillier writes historical fantasy with some novels based on the fairy tales I grew up loving as a child.
Heart's Blood is one of these and is based on the tale Beauty and the Beast. Other fairy tale based books by Juliet include the
Sevenwaters Forest series (based on my favourite, The Swan Princess);
Wildwood series (based on The 12 dancing Princesses and the Frog Prince, and myths with Ottoman and Greek roots). I love the fact that Juliet is a local author too. She writes beautifully and I recommend her books to anyone looking for a good but gentle read.

My second book for the week is a travel memoir written by a journalist from New Zealand. Bruce and his wife spent a year travelling through Holland, Belgium and France on a canal boat. I'm not far into it yet but of course my feet are itchy for the chance to do something so wonderfully exciting myself. For those of you who aren't aware......I have a deep, all consuming travel addiction. Luckily I am able to slake it's thirst somewhat by reading travel books and shopping (virtually) for real estate all over the world. Sad but true.
Elixir came in the mail today and I'm very excited. Janella Purcell featured in this years Biggest Loser and her segment on food preparation and the benefits of nutrition was brilliant. Using food as medicine is something I am very interested in as a result of my own health issues and the experiences of friends with cancer. So far it looks brilliant and in the first 20 pages or so I've picked up some really good ideas for my particular needs. Will give you a bit of a review when I've finished it.
No comments:
Post a Comment