The scribbly gum is an attractive eucalyptus with the most enchantingly smooth and pale bark (I always have to touch it and say hello). Upon this lovely surface intriguing brown squiggles or 'scribbles' meander haphazardly over the trunk. May Gibbs wrote of the scribbles being messages left by the bush creatures and gumnut babies. Science however says it is the work of none other than this native moth. I prefer the thought of gumnuts, flower fairies and Mr Lizard meeting there at the tree daily to catch up on the news. I wonder what things have happened in their world as I slept and rather like the fanciful thought of them being out there living in my garden and in the bush beyond my fence. Happy thought.
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Scribbly Gum
The scribbly gum is an attractive eucalyptus with the most enchantingly smooth and pale bark (I always have to touch it and say hello). Upon this lovely surface intriguing brown squiggles or 'scribbles' meander haphazardly over the trunk. May Gibbs wrote of the scribbles being messages left by the bush creatures and gumnut babies. Science however says it is the work of none other than this native moth. I prefer the thought of gumnuts, flower fairies and Mr Lizard meeting there at the tree daily to catch up on the news. I wonder what things have happened in their world as I slept and rather like the fanciful thought of them being out there living in my garden and in the bush beyond my fence. Happy thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment