Thursday, April 29, 2010

Overly enthusiastic garden

We've had a rather wet start to the year which has been wonderful. Both our tank and dam are full and we've not had to water. Not that I water much, just things that need establishing or that provide us with food. The above is an out of the way section of our garden that nestles in between the orchard, garage and pool fencing. It's not usually this overrun and tangled. It got away from us during the rain and high humidity. The chook shed (seen peeking out amongst the greenery at left), was retired of it's original purpose long before we moved here. Too many carpet snakes with a taste for chicken!
Another sad result of such a positive thing (rain). The citrus trees have been completely loaded this year. I've been all a-twitter with the anticipated joy of picking my own fruit and eating it right there, produce runs to the neighbours and making curds and jams. We found that the rain caused much of the fruit to split before ripening and the fruit fly got the rest. Fruit fly has been particularly bad this year and we got no fruit, none, zip from this mandarin. I'm hoping we get more from the other trees.
The rest of the garden has thrived in the rain and humidity however. These two photos are taken under a giant poinciana where a swing chair and sandpit also make their home. It's one of my favourite spots in the garden.
It's very green with little other colour at present unfortunately. Aren't the Crow's Nest ferns magnificent? Right hand side about midway up image for those non-botanicals among us. The staghorn fern on the trunk above them is putting on a nice show at present too.

Green, green, green. I think I'll have to do a colour hunt in my garden.






No comments:

Post a Comment